This week in Science we worked at making fabric waterproof. We tested vaseline, wax candle and cooking oil. It was fun rubbing in the vaseline jelly but very messy. we used spoons and fingers. It was harder work rubbing in the wax candle. We compared the wax candle to wax crayon and choose it because it had a greater wax content. We thought this would make the fabric more waterproof. The cooking oil was a disaster! We used paint brushes to apply it to the fabric. It soaked the fabric immediately. We decided to dry the fabric on the radiator before we tested how water proof it was. We tested the fabric by carefully pouring on 2 tablespoonfuls of water and letting it settle for 2 minutes. Everyone had to help by holding up the sides of the fabric. Then we checked the paper underneath to see if it was wet or dry. Dry paper showed that the fabric was waterproofed. Vaseline worked best of all. Here we are at work …….